Practical Theory - The Origin
The Scholars in CyberEnglish
ToDaY's MeNu - Ted

Monday, October 13, 2008

I-Search

Today, I'd like to speak about discovery, self discovery.

Ken Macrorie's I-Search is an inquiry-based research project for scholars. The I-Search actively engages scholars to ask questions and then do the research to answer the questions.

The following sentence starters are just possible suggestions to stimulate your writing. Your introduction should be an attention grabber and reflect your personal interest. The body paragraphs should provide your audience the information, knowledge and findings that you want to share and inform them about your subject. The conclusion should be the summary of information that you knew and learned about the subject.

1. I always wanted to know more about...

2. This is my opportunity to learn...

3. My family (mother, father, sister, brother, grandmother, etc) always said...

4. I wonder what it would be like to live in...

5. I always wanted to be a ...

6. When I was a small child I always wanted to go to...
_________college/university... study...

7. I want to know what scholarships or grants are available to help me attend college/business school/specialty programs.

8. I want to do community service by doing...in my community.

9. I want to know more about global warming.

10. I want to get involved in...

11. I want to know how_________is made.

12. I want to know more about ____________________in our (American) system.
(welfare/politics/homeless programs/etc.)

13. My biggest dream is to ...


14. I want to be___________________ in a__________________
(director/supervisor/owner/etc.) (spa/restaurant/club/etc.)

15. I want to be more technological savvy because...

16. When I was a small child I always wanted to...

17. I want to know what makes...

18. I want to do...

19. I want to know more about...

20. I want to get involved in...

21. What is...?

22. Where is...?

23. Who were the main...?

24. Why did...?

25. How would you show...?

26. Which one...?

28. How would you describe...?


29. How would you explain...?

30. What is the difference between...?

31. What would happen if...?

32. Determine what could have caused...

33. How would you make use of...?

34. Illustrate a way to...

35. Discuss the pros and cons of...

36. What is the significance of...?

37. How would you verify...?

38. What would you conclude about...?

39. What is the most important...?

40. What changes would you make to...?

No comments: