Practical Theory - The Origin
The Scholars in CyberEnglish
ToDaY's MeNu - Ted

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Riding the Buses

It is a shame that we don't see Merry Wives of Windsor done more often. It is a hilariously witty and apt play. This was an absolutely delightful performance to a very packed house. It is a short play, too It started at half seven and let out at 10. If Henry VIII is like this, I should have no problem getting to Euston in time for the half eleven train to Glasgow.

Today I woke late, at about 9AM. Mrs Steel and her friend had gone off to Stratford early in the AM and left my breakfast fixings out. It had rained and was still spotty. This morning I had raspberries, granola with yogurt and honey, coffee and toast. I listened to the BBC and hard Alan Cummings reading from Stuart Kelly's Scott-land, The Man who Invented a Nation. It is a biography of Sir Walter Scott and Cummings read delightfully.

I took a shower and set out by half ten by bus. I caught the 59 just around the corner for Kings Cross via Waterloo Bridge. The ride above ground through London was educational. I passed by the bits and pieces of London I knew only from popping up from the tube. Those pieces were being connected by my above ground transport. When I arrived at Euston, I disembarked and wandered to the 73 which was going to move me towards Tottenham Court where I would wander the book stores of Leicester Square in search of the Kelly tome. I started at Foyle's with no luck. Wandered in and out of the used stores along the lane and gave up. On my way back to Tottenham Court to snag a 242 to St Paul's I happened upon Blackwells and low and behold found a copy.

I meandered through the detours caused by the construction at the Court to find the 242 stop. As I was riding I discovered I was near the Seven Stars pub where Heather and I had met our friend Laurie for lunch during one of our Christmas trips. I remember the food was exceptional, so I hopped off and Chancery Lane and followed the maze to Carey Street and found the pub.

Upon entering a country gentleman was sitting at the bar tethered to two dachshunds. I ordered a cider, a soup, and quail salad. I found a table in the room adjoining the bar and watched the hounds as they kept guard. My soup was a very tasty vegetable soup and the quail was fabulous. I'm glad I stopped here for lunch.

I followed Bell Yard to Fleet Street, which I crossed to get to Middle Temple Lane hidden behind a wooden door with only a small opening for pedestrians. What a small world I discovered of law offices and parks and cobbled stones. I followed this all the way to the Embankment where I took a left and strolled to the Black Friar pub at the Black Friar Bridge. I had a half of a cider and then caught a 45 to Elephant and Castle where I caught a 242 to just outside the Black Prince Pub on Black Prince Road, the next street over from my B&B. I arrived home at half three and decided to take a nap as it was dreary outside. I set the alarm for 5PM.

Upon waking from my much needed nap, the sun was shining brightly and I stepped into the garden to write my day's adventures on the buses. Tonight I will be seeing Double Falsehood at the Union Theater.


No comments: