Practical Theory - The Origin
The Scholars in CyberEnglish
ToDaY's MeNu - Ted

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Vault


Inspector Wexford has retired and he is enjoying the good life, reading the latest Booker award winners, reading other books, playing with his grandchildren, and puttering about. I can relate to this man, I’m doing the same. But all too soon, he is back at it, police work. He is not a good spokesperson for retirement. There are those who can retire and those who can’t. Could Ruth Rendell be setting up Wexford for future private detective work in The Vault?
One of Wexford’s many quirks is his aversion to the clichés people use. Counting these and finding them is a fun diversion as I read. The story demonstrates a real dilemma for new retirees as Wexford learns to stay home and not play cop. But when he plays cop, he does good. Eventually he gives retirement a fair shake by traveling with his wife. I’m glad I have come to Inspector Wexford at the end of his career. Now that the Pope announced his retirement, I know I’m in good company.

No comments: