Practical Theory - The Origin
The Scholars in CyberEnglish
ToDaY's MeNu - Ted

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Penultimate

Today was the penultimate day of the Tour de France. I wish I had kept track of how many times I heard this word used today on the broadcast. Even before today, the penultimate day, it was used at the beginning of the penultimate climb of the day in a multi mountain climb day. In building up to the penultimate day, the broadcasters spoke of how the penultimate day would decide so many positions in all of the races except the green jersey.The penultimate day didn't disappoint as so many positions changed and were set for the final ride into Paris tomorrow, following a thrilling penultimate day in the Alps. More exciting than the traditional time trials we have seen on the penultimate day in the Tour de France. I hope the race directors, having seen the excitement of this penultimate day continue to make the penultimate day an exciting HC mountain top finish as we saw today on the penultimate day of the Tour.

My days will now change radically after three glorious weeks of watching the Tour this year. My days began with short 40 mile rides so I could get back to watch the Tour as well as avoid the scorching heat we have been getting. It took me two and one half months to ride 2000 miles while the riders of the Tour did it in three weeks. I've not been reading as much as I'd like, although I have been able to get to the beach at the end of each day for a swim or two and dinner on the beach.

I will now have to wait till next year's Tour to hear 'penultimate' used so often.

Au revoir 'penultimate.'

No comments: