Practical Theory - The Origin
The Scholars in CyberEnglish
ToDaY's MeNu - Ted

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The October List by Jeffery Deaver


When I saw The October List by Jeffery Deaver on the NEW books shelf in the library, I had to grab a book with my birth month in the title, now didn’t I? I started at Chapter 36, 6:30 PM Sunday and read to Chapter 35 and then Chapter 34 and so on. “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. Soren Kierkegaard” Oh no, not Kierkegaard. He gave me nightmares in college. Okay, I’m already down this rabbit hole, might as well proceed to Chapter 33 then 32 then 31…
This is very cool. We read the action and then in a chapter or two we read why and how the previous or future action happened. It’s slow motion in reverse, as Gabriela has to elude police and others to collect the October List, no one knows what it is and four hundred thousand dollars for the kidnapper of her daughter Sarah. The kidnapper, Joseph, is a deranged guy and Daniel a man Gabriela juts met is helping. Then there are the bumbling cops and a third party thug. This all goes pretty quickly on this dreary rainy day when suddenly I’m on Chapter 10 and the countdown begins to the source of all this adventure.
Follow the MacGuffin and be sure the kid is okay before you enter. What a brilliant scintillating novel. Now I think I will go back to some Kierkegaard better prepared, thanks, Jeffery.

No comments: